We are well into the Lenten season. Whether you are Catholic, Christian, of another religion or agnostic, you can take the remaineder Of Lent to reset life.
While searching online for some tools to help me on my renewal journey for Lent, I stumbled upong a Lutheran pastor’s blog post with suggestion of 20 habits, vices and character traits to consider giving up.
For wider appeal and to reach more audiences, I have appended it to make it secular and invite all of my readers to check these out and consider using this season to reset their priorities, goals and work on becoming a better person.
1. Guilt – Today is a new day and the past is behind.
2. The need to please everyone – You cannot satisfy all those wanting your time, talents, energy and resources, so stop trying. Do your best and leave time for yourself and sanity.
3. Envy – Think: “I am fortunate with what I have. My value is not found in my possessions.”
4. Impatience – Good things will come in time if you are steady in your journey.
5. Sense of entitlement – Remember this of yourself: “The world does not owe me anything. I live in humility and grace.”
6. Bitterness and Resentment – Meditate on this mantra: “The only person I am hurting by holding on to these is myself.”
7. Blame – Recite this: “I am not going to pass the buck. I will take responsibility for my actions.”
8. Gossip and Negativity – Practice this sentiment: “I will put the best construction on everything when it comes to other people. I will also minimize my contact with people who are negative and toxic bringing other people down.”
9. Comparison – Remember this of yourself: “I have my own unique contribution to make and there is no one else like me.”
10. Fear of failure – You don’t succeed without experiencing failure. Just make sure you fail forward.
11. Feelings of unworthiness – You are fearfully and wonderfully made. It’s easy in this world of comparing ourselves to others that we so quickly forget we have our own talents and are equally worthy of living life.
12. Doubt – Believe there is a plan for you that is beyond anything you could imagine. The future is brighter than you could ever realize.
13. Arrogance– You’re not better than anyone & acting like it only reflects on you.
14. Self-pity – We will be comforted in our sorrow. It’s never that bad and remember someone somewhere wants your problems in exchange for theirs.
15. Retirement – As long as you are still breathing, you are here for a reason. You have a purpose to influence others.
16. Excuses – A wise man once said, if you need an excuse, any excuse will do.
17. Shame– Don’t dwell on your past & decisions. Live with them & learn from them. You are a much wider person today. Own your baggage.
18. Lack of counsel – Wise decisions are rarely made in a vacuum.
19. Pride – Blessed are the humble. Let others trumpet your triumphs for a change.
20. Worry – There is no value in it. You cannot control everything and worrying will not help.
Godspeed, everyone. I hope we all come out refreshed and renewed in 40 days.bellyitchblog.com+1 more Over 9 million people have enjoyed Bellyitch's Award-winning Celeb "bumpwatch" pregnancy and parenting blog. Trying to Conceive? Download our FREE Fertility 100 ebook. Hunting for Top Maternity or Kids Brands? Our Bellyitch 100 is the free resource for you. Baby Shower Shopping? Check out out Top Picks on Amazon or our Gift Guides.