When I skimmed it, I instantly thought, okay, interesting selection’ and I am not certain what qualifies some of those women to be power moms especially those that just gave birth to their first child recently such as Adriana Lima. They haven’t had a chance to prove they can balance a career and a baby well yet. Sheesh!
Overall, the list seemed short on substance and quite arbitrary if you ask me. They might as well have called it Top 10 Celebrity A-List moms… I was also struck by the virtual absence of women of color!
Well, you know me, the agitator! It was nice and ripe timing for me to do my own Top 10 Power Celebrity Moms list (not those who just gave birth though). You have to add “celebrity” in there because these women can afford and have a small army of nannies, butlers, maids and chauffers helping them out to make their jobs a little easier than the average mom of 5 who also happens to be a CEO running a fortune 500 company. You know, that type of mom you might find on Forbes Top 100 Most Powerful Women list.
All of the moms on this list have AT LEAST TWO KIDS, not that you need multiples children to be a power mom, but it’s even more aw- inspiring if you are balancing several different roles while taking care of more than one child (even if you have plenty of nanny help) hrmpf!
Below this list are a few celebrity pregnancy updates as well
10. Soledad O’Brien – as an anchor at CNN covering critical issues and world class events and topics, this mom of four has the power of the media at her fingertips. This power mom, whose dad is an Irish Australian and mom is an Afro Cuban, has the experience of so many ethnicities that CNN tapped her to be the reporter and host of Black in America 1 and 2 and Latino in America. Soledad balances her high profile career with being a mom to 5-year old twins twins Jackson and Charlie, 7-year old Cecilia and 9-year old Sophia Elizabeth.
9. Kelly Ripa -Actress and host of Live with Regis & Kelly, this power mom balances work on her daily show with Regis Philbin and developing and producing several shows with her and her husband Mark Consuelos production company Milojo Productions. The two will executive produce two upcoming TLC shows Mom Inc. and Eat, Drink and Be Married. Kelly, the former All My Children star will be featured in Mom, Inc. as the host. Millions tune in to her show each morning and shape their behavior and thought based on what this fit and funny mom has to say. Kelly and Mark have three children: Michael Joseph Consuelos (born June 2, 1997), Lola Grace Consuelos (born June 16, 2001), and Joaquin Antonio Consuelos (born February 24, 2003).
8. Jennifer Lopez – This singer, dancer and actress balances life with her twins, a fashion line, a fragrance brand, several productions and development companies, at least one restaurants Her fraternal twins, a girl and a boy, Emme Maribel Muñiz, and Maximilian “Max” David Muñiz were born on February 22, 2008. At the height of her career, Lopez had a multi-faceted empire and brand. She remains one of the most recognizable women on the planet.
7. Jada Pinkett Smith – together with her superstar husband Will Smith, Jada Pinkett-Smith has an entertainment industry media dynasty. She co-owns a production company with her husband, designs a line of empowerment T-shirts and is an author and publisher. Even though she has an impressive acting career on her own, she says she always puts her family first. Jada and Will have two children, Jaden Christopher Syre Smith (born July 8, 1998) and Willow Camille Reign Smith (born October 31, 2000 ). Jada is also the stepmother of Willard “Trey” Christopher Smith III (born November 11, 1992), Smith’s son from a previous marriage. She is of West Indian, Creole and Portuguese Jewish ancestry. When I think of multicultural power couple and super mom, Jada pops in my mind instantly! I know for a fact that she inspires many.
6. Heidi Klum – is a supermodel, actress, television host, business woman, fashion designer,
television producer, artist, and occasional singer. This German supermom is most recently best known as the host of Project Runway though she also hosts and judges Germany’s Next Top Model, off of Tyra Bank‘s franchise hit America’s Next Top Model. She is mom to Helene “Leni” Boshoven Klum (now Samuel) born on May 4, 2004 to her ex boyfriend and three sons with singer Seal: Henry Gunther Ademola Dashtu Samuel (born September 15, 2005), Johan Riley Fyodor Taiwo Samuel (born November 22, 2006) and daughter Lou Sulola Samuel (born October 9, 2009). She balances a full house including a new born with all her various ventures and at the same time is known to be quite down to earth. I love love her family!
5. Madonna- She has one of the most recognizable one names in the industry. She is a super super star and a loving mom of four and on the side she is also a singer, songwriter, record producer, dancer, actress, film producer, film director, fashion designer, author and entrepreneur She is mom to Lourdes Maria Ciccone Leon (born October 14, 1996, father Carlos Leon), Rocco (born August 11, 2000 with ex hubby Guy Ritchie); and David Banda and Mercy James who she adopted from Malawi. She’s great about staying in step and reinventing herself.
4. Kimora Lee – This mogul is a business woman, designer, actress, former model and Reality TV star of Life in the Fab Lane. She gave birth to a baby boy in May 2009, named Kenzo Lee Hounsou and her daughters Ming Lee (born January 2000) and Aoki Lee (born August 2002) both models for her lines Baby Phat Kids Collection are featured often on the reality show. She seems to put family first and enjoys being a mom. She comes off as a take no prisoners expect the best boss on her reality show and does a darn good job handling all she has on her plate while raising her brood. And what little
brats divas she is raising too!
3. Sarah Palin – love her or hate her, Sarah Palin has become the posterchild for motherhood for women in the heartland of America. Her folksy jargon has won her fans among millions nationwide. She is a former governor of Alaska the first woman vice presidential nominee for the Republican party and a bonafide hustler. This woman knows how to stay in the news and make herself relavent. She is one of the most watched women around. Her autobiography and subsequent book tour attracted many. While her family is quite controversial, this gun-toting moose hunter does her thang! Sarah has five children: sons Track (born int 1989) Trig Paxson Van (born in 2008), and daughters Bristol Sheeran Marie (born in 1990), Willow (born in 1995), and Piper (born in 2001). She is a young grandmother to Tripp Easton Mitchell Johnston, who was born to her eldest daughter Bristol, in 2008.
2. Angelina Jolie – this actress, businesswoman and philanthropist puts her family first all while juggling several roles including once as the Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. She is a world traveler who takes her children with her to as many places as she can so she can show them the world. She has opened her heart and home to her adopted children from Ethiopia (Zahara 4), Vietnam, (Pax born November 29, 2003), and Cambodia Maddox (born August 5, 2001) . She gave birth to twins Knox Léon and Vivienne
Marcheline in Nice, France, on July 12, 2008. Her eldest daughter she gave birth to Shiloh Nouvel was born May 27, 2006. Lovely family, and I can’t fault her for being such a force to be reckoned with even if she did fall in love with a married man and is an atheist. I also do wish she would hire someone to hook up Zahara’s hair. Poor child.
She is more than an attorney and fashion icon. She is raising the first daughters Natasha (known as Sasha), born June 10, 2001 and Malia Ann, born July 4, 1998 and making some pretty important impasse on her various social agendas while First Lady. She is role model and one of the most watched and revered women world wide. As a fashion industry fave, she has the power to really change up the fashion industry. When she wore a White House/Black Market dress on the daytime talk show The View moments into the episode after she mentioned where she got the dress, copies of the dress flew off the racks! The good Queen Elizabeth of England hugged her when she came to visit in 2009 and the Queen hugs NO ONE!
AND IN OTHER CELEBRITY PREGNANCY AND RECENT BIRTH NEWS…
Christina Milian has been rumored to be in labor, but sources close to the singer/actress say she is not but was checked in to the hospital today. They say but that doctors are waiting for her to go into labor naturally but might induce if she does not soon. Wow! Stay tuned…
Courtney Cox is allegedly struggling to get pregnant at 45, but is leaning towards adoption, hence as we all suspected the reason to put her popular top rated show CougarTown on hiatus indefinitely. You go Courtney! I’m glad she and her actor husband David Arquette are putting their family first and have developed the clout in Hollywood to do so. I hear that Mariah Carey and Janet Jackson, other would be advanced age moms are also struggling to conceive right now. Here’s wishing them good vibes that they ultimately succeed. If all else fails, there is always the surrogate option as Sarah Jessica Parker opted to do and also adoption a la Courtney Vance and Angela Bassett and others.
NFL player Daniel Wilcox and his wife Shauna, who is five months pregnant, posed at the ESPN The Magazine’s Next Event on February 5, 2010 in Miami Beach, Florida. Below are more pictures of the couple at a Pre-Superbowl event on February 4th. source