HealthNews has a great list of crazy old-wives tales. Some of these are oldies but goodies. Some quite new. All are fun to read:
- How you “carry” the baby—If you carry high or “wide to the side,” the baby is a girl. If you carry low or “out front,” it is a boy.
- The baby’s heartbeat—A high heart rate is a girl’s, a low one a boy’s. (Or is it the other way around?)
- How objects or fabric move over your belly – If a needle or ring suspended on a thread over your abdomen swings clockwise, the baby is a boy; if the object swings counterclockwise, and the baby is a girl. Another variation of this is—If a longish piece of cotton cloth held over your abdomen moves back and forth, the baby is a boy; if the cloth hangs straight, the baby is a girl.
- Compare mom’s age at conception with the year of conception. If both are even or odd, the baby is girl; if one is even and one is odd, the baby is a boy.
- Drano Test—The color change displayed by mixing Drano and the urine of a pregnant woman will predict the sex of the baby. This causes very toxic fumes and should NOT be done!
- If you have heartburn when you’re pregnant, the baby will have a lot of hair. *