Nannyjobs.org did a post listing 10 questions you cannot ask a potential nanny during an interview. Here are the top 6:
1. Do you have diabetes, hepatitis or any other disease?You cannot ask questions regarding an applicant’s health or health history, period. You can ask if there is anything that will limit their ability to perform the duties of the job.
2. Have you ever been married or divorced? Marital status is another item you cannot inquire into.
3. What is the nationality of your family? Any question that relates to race or ancestry can be considered discriminatory. Simply asking the ethnicity related to their last name would fit into this category.
4. Have you ever filed a work comp claim? That’s right. You cannot ask them this question. You also cannot ask them how much work they missed due to illness in their previous jobs. This information is not considered appropriate for making a hiring decision.
5. Are you a heterosexual? Sexual orientation or sexual preference questions are also not allowed, as discrimination on this basis is considered illegal.
6. Where do you go to church? Religious affiliation or beliefs are not to taken into consideration. However, you can identify your own religious affiliations and beliefs. In doing so, you could ask them if they would have any conflicts with working for a family which holds these beliefs.
Continue reading the rest