I recommitted myself back to Zumba this week as I train for my next 10 mile race.
Zumba is an excellent cardiovascular means of exercising that is a fun and excellent way to build up heart health. Founded in 2001, the exercise concept infuses upbeat world music and rhythms, usually from Latin and Caribbean culture (like Salsa, Merengue, and Soca) using easy-to-follow choreography and is a total-body work out. The trend has turned into a worldwide phenomenon and continues today with many gyms offering classes by certified instructors teaching jam-packed classes full of women and men eager to peel off weight or just stay fit in a fun way. It has outlasted many other past exercise trends like Tae Bo, Strip aerobics and the like.
And for cross training purposes, adding a Zumba routine to your workout is also superb for developing endurance, your ability to go the extra mile for how long it takes to complete a goal — like running 10 miles for example. oy!
And to that end, I headed back to my regular Zumba class I take at my local gym taught by one of THE best instructors around, Francine! And that is when I discovered that over my months-long hiatus she became pregnant and now is a radiant 7-months along with a baby girl, her first. Awww!
Gorgeous! So happy for her to get the pleasure of the joys of motherhood soon! Well given on how well she stayed with the class while teaching, there is no doubt she’ll be back to her usual teenie tiny size in no time after delivering.
A Zumba class is one of the best ways for new moms to get back into shape after pregnancy.
And for those who are on a tight budget and maybe can’t swing a monthly Zumba class, there are several online resources and YouTube Zumba videos that will show you the techniques and some basic moves. There are also lots of videos showing you routines. Then after you get the hang of it, soon, all you would have to do is download a couple tunes from iTunes or listen to some via online streaming radio for Free and get your Zumba on!
Besides Zumba, here is a list of 9 other ways to get your cardio fix in , pre or post baby to stay heart healthy:
2. Running– All you need is a pair of running shoes and access to a local school’s track or a nearby trail. If you live in a pedestrian friendly town or a low traffic neighborhood, all you have to do is lace up your sneaks and head out. Start where you are and go!
3. YouTube videos– As stated, many exercise DVDs will showcase snippets of routines on YouTube. No cost but the cost of Internet access you may already have at home or on your smart phone or tablet.
4. Pinterest – People love to pin images with exercise routines on them in their weight loss or exercise boards. Simply run a search on the popular site and you’ll discover a goldmine of resources, exercise exhibits and tips!
5. Speed Walking – If bad knees, stiff joints or some other ailment prevent you from running, speed walking is your next best bet! Depending on how fast you go and how many miles you walk, you can burn off plenty of calories, in some cases.
6. Pilates – This exercise which is based on lots of stretching and flexing is superb for building your flexibility and elongating your muscles for a leaner and more tone physique. Highly recommend!
7. Stair Climbing – Whether you live in a home or apartment building with flights of stairs or not, find a place that has flights and climb them. Start with 10 rounds/laps and work up your endurance and the number of rounds and speed. It’s a great way to build up muscle in the leg area and is a cardio workout.
8. Public Library borrowed Exercise tapes – Even if you don’t have an exercise DVD or video library, the public library usually stocks them and can be borrowed for FREE!
9. Dancing – Tune the radio or cable box to the music of music video channel, move the center table out of the way and get down right there in your living or family room or basement. Dance for up to an hour and you’ll start to sweat and have fun all while burning calories and building muscle mass.
10. Google Image – Doing a simple search in the image tab of a popular search engine like Google will bring up lots of printable exercises and routines you can do for FREE. To take away the sting of having to work out, especially if you’re not a work out type or not motivated, make it a point to do them while watching your favorite show. It will make the time go by faster.
Good luck and have fun staying fit, and if applicable, getting back to pre-pregnancy size!