Some places are just stressful to live in altogether and Wallet Hub, the personal finance website, crunched some numbers in order to identify where Americans cope with stress better than others. WalletHub’s analysts compared the 150 largest cities across 27 key metrics. Their data set ranges from average work hours to debt load to divorce and suicide rates.
Here are the top 10 most and least stressed cities:
Most Stressed Cities Least Stressed Cities
1 Detroit, MI
2 Mobile, AL
3 Birmingham, AL
4 Memphis, TN
5 Cleveland, OH
6 Shreveport, LA
7 Columbus, GA
8 New Orleans, LA
9 Newark, NJ
10 Montgomery, AL
Least Stressed Cities
141 San Diego, CA
142 Sioux Falls, SD
143 Overland Park, KS
144 Plano, TX
145 San Francisco, CA
146 San Jose, CA
147 Madison, WI
148 Honolulu, HI
149 Irvine, CA
150 Fremont, CA
Best vs. Worst
- Greensboro, N.C., has the lowest commuter stress index, 1.11, which is nearly 1.5 times lower than in Los Angeles, the city with the highest, 1.62.
- Lincoln, Neb., has the lowest unemployment rate, 2.5 percent, which is about five times lower than in Detroit, the city with the highest, 12.4 percent.
- Overland Park, Kan., has the lowest poverty rate, 6.0 percent, which is nearly seven times lower than in Detroit, the city with the highest, 39.8 percent.
- Fremont, Calif., has the lowest divorce rate, 12.24 percent, which is about three times lower than in Cleveland, the city with the highest, 41.29 percent.
- Seattle has the lowest percentage of single parents, 9.54 percent, which is about four times lower than in Newark, N.J., the city with the highest, 37.79 percent.
- Minneapolis has the lowest percentage of adults in fair or poor health, 10.77 percent, which is about two times lower than in Mobile, Ala., the city with the highest, 25.71 percent.
- Irvine, Calif., has the lowest number of violent crimes per 1,000 residents, 0.49, which is more than 40 times lower than in Detroit, the city with the highest, 19.89.
- Fresno, Calif., has the most psychologists per 100,000 residents, 80.1, which is about 22 times more than in Baton Rouge, La., the city with the fewest, 3.7.
For the full report and to see where your city ranks, please visit Wallet Hub here!
bellyitchblog.com+1 more Over 9 million people have enjoyed Bellyitch's Award-winning Celeb "bumpwatch" pregnancy and parenting blog. Trying to Conceive? Download our FREE Fertility 100 ebook. Hunting for Top Maternity or Kids Brands? Our Bellyitch 100 is the free resource for you. Baby Shower Shopping? Check out out Top Picks on Amazon or our Gift Guides.