This weekend, a lot of families will be getting together to grill, chill and celebrate the American worker. Some will be heading to the beach and others catching their fave blockbuster movie.
Budweiser released a national study to ascertain how the nation will be spending the holiday. In its Labor Day USA Survey, the company, via its data resarch partner Learndipity Data Insights uncovered:
- Barbecuing vs. movie watching: Will more Americans light the grill or hit the theaters?
- Hamburgers vs. hot dogs: Will burgers or wieners take top billing in 2016?
- Domestic (Budweiser) vs. Imported Beer: Which brews will quench thirsty Americans?
- South vs. Midwest vs. East vs. West: What U.S. region will bring their BBQ A-game?
Based on a representative survey of 2,000 Americans (ages 21+), asking respondents about their eating, drinking, and leisure plans for Labor Day 2016, here is a summary of the results:
BARBECUING VS. MOVIE WATCHING:
- A big win for barbecue lovers: 214 million Americans (67%) plan to fire up the grill this year while 115M Americans (36%) plan to watch a movie at a theater or at home.
- Other top Labor Day activities include having some quiet time (35%), doing an outdoor activity like hiking (27%), attending a party (26%), and shopping (23%).
HAMBURGERS VS. HOT DOGS:
- Across the U.S., 150M Americans (70% of barbecue-goers) expect to bite into a juicy burger compared to 109M hot dogs eaters (51%).
- New trend: Barbecued chicken (40%), now edges out steak (37%) and ribs (32%) on Labor Day plates.
DOMESTIC BEER (BUDWEISER) VS. IMPORTED BEER
- 98M Americans (44% of barbecue-goers) will drink an ice-cold domestic beer likeBudweiser, while only 49M (22%) will drink an imported beer.
- At a Labor Day BBQ, those drinking domestic beer like Budweiser are perceived as more “genuine and approachable” (70% agree for women, 59% agree for men) compared to those drinking imported beer (36% and 29%, respectively).
BARBECUE LOVE: SOUTH VS. MIDWEST VS. EAST VS. WEST
- Surprise! Eastern states have the highest percentage of Labor Day barbecue plans (70% of all residents).
- The Western U.S. (67%) tops the South (65%) and Midwest (63%) for second place (email us for state results).
Here are the results simplified in an infographic!
bellyitchblog.com+1 more Over 9 million people have enjoyed Bellyitch's Award-winning Celeb "bumpwatch" pregnancy and parenting blog. Trying to Conceive? Download our FREE Fertility 100 ebook. Hunting for Top Maternity or Kids Brands? Our Bellyitch 100 is the free resource for you. Baby Shower Shopping? Check out out Top Picks on Amazon or our Gift Guides.