I am a big believer in holistic medicine and limiting the use of medicine and active chemical solutions to health problems, especially for babies. I’ve been looking for some cold and flu tips for newborns to pass along to a friend who just had a baby . It was thus superb to get in my inbox these awesome and timely tips from the renowned Little Remedies pediatrician Dr. Sue Hubbard. These suggestions are perfect for helping moms (and dads) protect their kids and family from the cold and flu this year. A few of her tips include:
- Opt for a Flu Shot: All children over the age of 6 months should receive a flu vaccine. During the first flu season a baby is vaccinated, they need to receive two flu vaccines which must be separated by at least 4 weeks. Your baby is not fully protected until they have received both vaccines.
- Go Back to Basics:Old-fashioned hand washing with soap is still preferable to hand sanitizers whenever possible. Have your child sing “Happy Birthday” to make it effective and fun!
- Spot the Signs:The flu looks different in newborns than in older kids. In newborns, look for a fever, a cough, respiratory stress, dehydration and sometimes vomiting.
- Don’t Panic:You can’t shield your baby – nor should you. Your baby’s immune system is robust and does a great job fighting off germs. Every time babies get sick, it boosts their immunity and makes them stronger.
- Be Prepared:Babies are going to get sick, and it’s important to keep them comfortable when they do. To relieve stuffy noses in newborns and older, I recommend Little Remedies® Saline Spray/Drops, and for coughs in children above the age of 1 year, Little Remedies® Honey Cough Syrup is a great solution.
Little Remedies provides families with safe and reliable formulas, using only the necessary ingredients to support the health and well-being of infants and children. Very nice! We have several Little Remedies products in our bathroom cabinet as well!bellyitchblog.com+1 more Over 9 million people have enjoyed Bellyitch's Award-winning Celeb "bumpwatch" pregnancy and parenting blog. Trying to Conceive? Download our FREE Fertility 100 ebook. Hunting for Top Maternity or Kids Brands? Our Bellyitch 100 is the free resource for you. Baby Shower Shopping? Check out out Top Picks on Amazon or our Gift Guides.