This post contains some affiliate links. If you click thru and purchase any of the products I suggested, I will earn a small commission from referring the sale to the brand.
I know I promised to just do one gift guide this year but since I also re boosted my mom-to-be guide and posh parent gift guide from last year, I thought I should update my fitness gift guide for kid athletes this year.
I polled some friends on Facebook and asked them what their kid wanted for their sport for Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and generally, for the holiday season and beyond.
I then conducted some online and in store research and came up with the following list of 13 items.
1 Noise cancelling headphones: First, for all athletes, in between events, traveling to away games or for just tuning out the distractions and noise, there is noise cancelling headphones to help them get in the right mind set to compete. Now these headphones can get pretty pricey so I would only recommend getting the higher end on the list for the very responsible kid who isn’t going to leave it around carelessly, on the floor by the pool where it can get wet or damaged or forget it out in the open on the field in a public park.
The best out there, which is going for the lowest price right now per my research, is Sony’s WH-1000XM3. It is on par with Bose’s, the gold standard in home audio equipment. It’s $278 right now on Amazon and the cheapest you will ever see them this year.
Now if that is out of your budget, Wired magazine says best of the lower cost headphones is TaoTronics Active Noise Cancelling headphones which is just about $49.99 and has 45 hours of battery life and it pretty light weight. Get it at Amazon.
2. A Sports Back pack: Student athletes got a lot of gear, uniform and sport-related equipment they have to lug to school, to practice and to games, meets, tournaments and competitions. They need a back with a lot of compartments internal and external so they can organize all their stuff. The UA Hustle 4.0 Backpack is the ultimate back pack for any student athlete. It has a front pocket for shoes and lots of interior pockets to separate all the gear and keep the soiled stuff separate from the clean. The side pockets can hold large 24 ounce bottles of water or recyclable water bottles. It’s light weight and sturdy for a sports bag only. Don’t have it double as a school backpack. This backpack is usually $55 but is down to $40 for the holidays. I’m getting three: one for my soccer player daughter, my track and field middle kid and my cross country eldest kid. That’s three sports.
You can personalize it and add your kid’s sport or name to it too!
BONUS: All athletes need training apparel and there is no need to break the bank stocking up on them. Hit the overstock stores like TJMaxx, Burlington Coat Factory, Marshalls and Ross to get some after market deals.
Alternatively, all of the major brands have Factory Stores that are also online if you want to avoid the crowds or do not have one near you.
Nike Factory Outlet has sales going on now.
Adidas – Free shipping on Orders over $49 and Use Code 20EXTRA for extra
UnderArmour- Take an Extra $30 off all orders over $100
New Balance has free shipping on orders over $50
Puma – Use code Extra10 for an additional 10% off items and there is a sale of up to 50% off
Reebok – Take an Extra 55% off select items including sale ones.
Umbro– Get on it! Save 25% when you spent $75. Tomorrow is the last day to ship for Christmas delivery!
Cross Country/Cold-Weather Training
3. Athletic Outdoor Training Shirt: For your Cross Country or Outdoor Track kid (or for any kid who engages in a winter or cold weather sport), Nike has its Sphere Element Running long sleeve shirt with thumb cut out to keep the hands warm and made of the company’s patented Nike® Therma fabric which offers lightweight insulation and warmth, while keeping sweat off the skin via the Dri-FIT® technology..
The shirt is a steal at $50, down from $70 at Dick’s right now.
Today only, you can spend $100 worth of gear and pay just $80 at DICK’s
4. Running Shoes: For running, there are many brands that offer superior quality shoes. My two sons’ high school is sponsored by Under Armour and we have had success for three years in the HOVR Infinite which lasts an entire season of training runs and meets. Don’t just take my word for it. The HOVR won Runner’s World Magazine’s recommended running shoe recognition this year! The best tech in the shoe is the ‘zero gravity feel’ to maintain energy return that helps eliminate impact step after step. It’s a good shoe overall and has great reviews.
The shoe costs $120 but if you purchase it for the holidays you can get it for $30 at the UA website off if you use the code FRIENDS30 at checkout!
You can still have it delivered by Christmas if you order it up to this weekend!
5. Training Compression Pants: For training runs in the cold, the UA Qualifier Compression Tights works best! It’s made of compression material and made to feel like second skin. The pants comes with a pocket large enough to fit a big mobile phone like a Samsung Galaxy or iPhone X or Plus size. It has the traditional wicking material which keeps sweat off your skin and dries what accumulates fast as you run. The best is the anti-odor tech that staves off the growth of funky odor causing microbes. It’s the best and a steal at just $65 compared to more expensive running pants that I’ve seen out there sold by other athletic brands! Gift these to your XC Runner or other sports trainer who runs outdoors in the cold weather!
You’d think every student basketball player athlete would want an official Spalding NBA Basketball and a portable backboard to practice at home with. Yes, those too, but the serious ones are thinking ahead.
6. Agility Ladder: Per the experts, an agility ladder like the SKLZ ladder is a great tool for ambitious basketball players who want to improve their footwork and coordination. It’s just $25.49 on Amazon and can be delivered well before Christmas if you order soon!
7. Shooting Sleeve: Throw in a Nike Pro Combat Elite Shooting sleeve for $19.90 and your aspiring basketball NBA or WNBA star will be one happy kid!
8. Swimming Goggles: All of my three kids swim, in the Summer rec league and one year round for a club and for his school so we are always in the market for swimming gear. Goggles are always in demand and Speedo’s MDR 2.4 googles delivers performance with its Innovative Elastomeric™ technology which reduces goggle pressure against your kid’s face and Clearsight lenses eliminates distortion for a clearer view without eye fatigue. These goggles also offer a middle eye fit with liquid silicone seals and an adjustable strap and is just $24.99 at Dick’s
9. Flippers: Or get em a pair of Floti’s flippers with an extra long blade to emphasize the kick, a flexible foot pocket with ankle support and easy on and off functionality on sale at Swim Outlet for just $19.99, which is 23% off the regular price, and just $15.99 if you used the code GIFT25 at checkout!
10. Balance Beam: For your gymnast, there is still time to get an FBSPORT floorbeam from Amazon in time for Christmas. This adjustable and foldable portable beam has a 5-inch to which is the same width as those used in competitions but has a 6 inch base to stabilize it so it won’t topple over. Per the manufacturers, it’s made of “high density EVA foam, our padded beam is covered in suede-like material with a nonslip rubber bottom for a soft sturdy practice surface that won’t flatten over time.” Get it for $59.99 today!
11. Rebounder: To help your lacrosse player hone his or her passing and catching skills, a lacrosse rebounder is a great gift for a goalie, offensive player or for team practice drills to increase your kid’s reaction skills. Dick’s has an exclusive deal for the PRIMED rebounder for $129.99 right now. It can also be picked up if it is available at a Dick’s near you.
But if that price point is not in the budget, Champion Sports sells one for half the price at $59.99 on Amazon. Both can be ordered and delivered before Christmas.
12. Cleats Dryer: For the active soccer player who either plays in various travel teams, or year round rec leagues, a cleats dryer I hear is an in-demand item. Amazon Prime members can get Lavieair Shoe Dryer shipped for Free before Christmas for just $36.99.
If you are not an Amazon Prime member, it’s free to join! Sign up here for 30 Days FREE!
13. Nike Workout Gear: Nike’s Court line has these popular hoodies for after play starting at $60. It’s made of French Terry cloth and has a boxy shape that makes it unisex though Nike sells a female and male version of the hoodie! It comes in other colors than the traditional Tennis white and you can still get it in time for Christmas!