The late fall and early winter season is all about layering and comfort for moms-to-be. It’s very easy to get overheated so dressing your bump involves wearing items that you can peel off and stay cool. Pants and dresses should be comfortable and contain scrunching on the sides to accommodate a growing belly. Fabrics need breathable and soft yet made of all natural materials so not to irritate a pregnant women’s sensitive skin.
All of these characteristics can be found in one of my fave designers from my pregnancy, Isabella Oliver (which is having a mid-season sale). The line is a celebrity favorite, but I love it because it sells fashionable and chic clothing, but that at a modest price range that won’t break the bank.
I know for a fact and from my experience that when you put on an IO dress, it feels like second skin but has plenty give. I wore my pieces long after my pregnancy and even these days because many of them are timeless and classic.
This time of the year also involves plenty of holiday parties, visits to family and outdoor events and so a wardrobe should contain certain staple items. I’d recommend making sure your wardrobe is stocked with the following:
- a Cardigan in a bright red, yellow or other mood-lifting color. Avoid prints bc solids are better for mixing and matching. Also, if you care about looking bigger, prints generally are a no-no in that regard.
- A pair of maternity jeans to wear to trips to the pumpkin patch, Christmas tree shopping or mall walking during Holiday shopping time. Get at least two pairs: a dressy pair that can be paired with a blazer and a more casual pair, perhaps distressed for an edgier weekend outing.
- LBDs – A few little black dresses are in order for Holiday parties. You can get an off-the-shoulder top to go with the trend or a turtleneck for the colder times of the year or if is raining or if the event will be outside.
- A chunky sweater – A thick sweater is ideal because they can be worn over top of several layers and serve as an alternative to a heavy coat because when you’re already feeling heavy, the last thing you want to throw on is a big ole coat!
- A Blazer – a blazer in a dark color is great for work functions, cocktail hours, or chic lounge events meeting up with friends for a casual dinner or lunch.
- Jersey shirts – the feel of a jersey top is the best. They are also light enough that they can be layered. Get an assortment of muted and soft colors like pink, grey, tan and green. To mix it up and add a bit of flavor, you can pick up some striped tops as well.
- A festive dress – For Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, a dress with a cute pattern or nice cut will be perfect. You can also wear this dress in the family holiday photo or to a tree lighting or some other happy occasion.
Here is a selection of options to consider from our parenters at Isabella Oliver
Isabella Oliver Marlow Maternity Tab Dress
With its cute Sixties vibe, this tunic is our workwear go-to. Cut from premium Ponte, it’s delightfully soft and stretchy yet still feels smart and tailored too. Pleat detailing accommodates growing bumps, while the gold button details satisfies our ‘I need something pretty’ craving. Pair with ballet pumps and wear from your 1st trimester to your 3rd – this dress will grow as you do. This style can be worn through every trimester of your pregnancy.
Isabella Oliver Maternity Scoop Top
This classic top has the power to revolutionise your maternity wardrobe. It’s simple, comfortable and features signature ruching for a smooth silhouette. Cut from our famous premium jersey it washes and wears brilliantly – great news considering it’s designed to be worn right throughout pregnancy (and for years afterwards too).
Isabella Oliver Maternity Layering Scoop Top
Simple, effortless and WORTH IT. This top is cut from our famous luxury jersey, so it washes and wears beautifully. Buy just one in ONE size and it’ll see you right through pregnancy, nursing and beyond. With a longer length and clean silhouette, you can style it in a myriad of ways: below a pencil skirt for work, over your trusty blues at the weekend, it goes on…you’ll swear by its quality and versatility. This ‘forever’ style can be worn
Isabella Oliver Eldon Maternity Midi Dress (28505)
With its understated shape, this bestselling dress allows you to connect with your inner style. Layer it under a leather jacket or cocoon coat, then add a scarf and pick any footwear – it works with everything. Crafted from our premium, addictively soft jersey you can wash it 1,000 times (then watch it bounce back). Pick one size and it’ll grow as you do – lasting the whole nine months. This isn’t just a luxury piece you’ll love. It will outlast
A little Sixties and a LOT of lovely, this tunic dress will get you everywhere – right through your 9 months. The front pleats give your bump room to bloom, while the side ties create a lovely shape and (it just gets better) the silky fabric feels super special too. Team with ballet pumps or ankle boots for a cutesy look you’ll love every day. This ‘forever’ style can be worn right through pregnancy and long after.
Isabella Oliver Zadie Stretch Maternity Skinny Jeans
If you lived in your skinnies pre-pregnancy then you’ll love these maternity skinny jeans. They feature the same flattering fit and comfortable stretch denim as your favorite non-maternity pair, but with the additional benefit of a soft over-the-bump waistband. Dress them up for dinners or down for weekends at galleries. They’ll wash and wear over and over again and still retain their shape brilliantly. This style can be worn right through
bellyitchblog.com+1 more Over 9 million people have enjoyed Bellyitch's Award-winning Celeb "bumpwatch" pregnancy and parenting blog. Trying to Conceive? Download our FREE Fertility 100 ebook. Hunting for Top Maternity or Kids Brands? Our Bellyitch 100 is the free resource for you. Baby Shower Shopping? Check out out Top Picks on Amazon or our Gift Guides.