The living room is a crucial space in any home; it is the first place any stylish homeowner looks to when trying to revamp a living space. Decorating and styling your living room is an opportunity to showcase your personal taste and show off your style muscles. This is easier said than done particularly if you have champagne style and you are operating on a canned beer budget. However, let your shoestring budget not prevent you from having that elegant and sophisticated living room you have always desired. Here are three budget friendly tips to help redecorate your living room.
- Start by simplifying your style
There is a lot of sophistication and elegance in simplicity. Doing too much may not only cost you more but may also end up making your living room cluttered and over-accessorized. You will end up with a disorganized and messy space other than the chic, elegant and sophisticated look you were going for. Simply begin by paring down your collection and ensure you only retain elegant pieces that evoke strong memory or have some sentimental value. The best thing about a simplified space is that every element of your design will stand out and shine. Here are some trips on de-cluttering;
- Instead of many pieces of art that will make your pace look disorganized, go for a statement piece that stands out.
- Creatively camouflage your television; a huge flat screen is a must have for most people however it can make your living room look congested. Visually minimize it by creating a gallery wall. Alternatively go for a salon-style arrangement around it. I am sure you are wondering how this works? Very simple! The frame of your TV screen will blend with the art work and distract the eye
- Go for vinyl flooring and laminate flooring instead of hardwood
Most Americans favor for hardwood flooring over luxury vinyl plank flooring and laminate flooring without considering how affordable the latter methods floors are. When dealing with hardwood you have to worry about scratches and dents and a remodel that comes with a high price tag. Opt for vinyl flooring that looks like real wood instead of solid or even engineered hardwood as it is often times ¼ the cost and DIY friendly (meaning no expensive contractor!).
Vinyl flooring is extremely versatile in color because they use 3-D printing that resembles stone or hardwood. Additionally, vinyl planks are easily replaceable as compared to real hardwood; you can cut and install vinyl planks with only a razor blade and hammer!
Vinyl is not only cheaper but it is more durable and scratch resistant than hardwood. Since it is made of composite materials, it doesn’t dent and scratch like engineered or real solid wood does. Since vinyl is completely water resistant it can serve well in spaces that have a great moisture and water content, or rather places vulnerable to leakages. The best part is you can get it printed in almost any color, grain pattern or style to match whatever interior design style you have going in your living room. Wood look vinyl can give your home that classic and elegant feel that makes it more pleasant and welcoming with out the high price tag and expensive remodel. You can get free vinyl flooring samples from most retailers without even inputting a credit card to see what best matches your style!
- Try out window treatmentsThis is a great way of saving the pocket book while getting a sophisticated and elegant style. Window treatments are a perfect replacement for unlined and flimsy curtains. Opt for secondary colors here that complement either your furniture color or main color scheme in the living room. Look for simple patterns or solid colors, window treatments that are too busy with lots of stripes and patterns can take away from the overall theme of the room and draw your eye away from the centerpiece of the room.
These three design techniques will go a long way in adding elegance, sophistication, class and style to your living room space.